Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Posted by Nuraini at 9:19 PM
OMG.. I'm feeling kinda full right now. Those pieces of carrot cake sure are filling! I rate it 8/10.


Made this 6 by 6 inch moist carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for Cyril. With walnuts topping ohhh. :) Looks nice eh? Nahh.. There's still lots of room for improvements. I want those spatulas and "lazy susan"! T___T Gonna wait till I get a job.. T___T

Hmm.. preparing, baking and decorating this cake took me 3.5 hours.. There's still lots of things in the kitchen sink waiting for me to wash.. X___X If you add that, then I suppose you'll need a total of 4 hours. Only beginners will take this long.

For the record, I followed the recipe this time! Only exception: I reduced the amount of sugar. I measured all the flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, bicarbonate soda as accurately as possible with the cups. Also, instruction says to grease the tray with grease *I used butter* and flour.. and here's what I did.


It looks kinda scary and oily huh? Better be safe than sorry. Haha. And next here we have the flour mixture in the tray, ready for baking! ^^


After 35 minutes, I took the cake out of the oven. 30 minutes later, I took it out of the tray. Surprisingly, I could remove it easily from the tray! :) It proves that all the butter works! Haha. While I was waiting for the cake to cool, I prepared the cream cheese frosting.

My previous experiences with butter cream frosting weren't really pleasant. I failed at most times. Nevertheless, I followed the recipe and was really hoping it would turn out well. I used a 9 by 9 inch round tray to bake my carrot cake. So I only got a 1.5 inch thick cake like this..

Next, I put a 6 by 6 inch round cake tray on top of my cake and cut its shape out. Then I started icing it with cream cheese frosting. And voila~! Done~!

Well, my comments on the cake are it's moist and has a rich taste. :) Definitely nurainicious!

Alrighty.. time for me to wash my oily buttery utensils! T__T


Oh btw, I got my wonderful recipes here and here. :)

Moist Carrot Cake Recipe

2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of baking soda
¼ teaspoon of salt
1 ½ cups of canola oil
2 cups of sugar
Pinch of brown sugar
4 eggs
2 ½ cups of grated carrots
½ cup of chopped walnuts

Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Follow this by layering a cake pan with grease and flour, and then set aside.

Take your flour, cinnamon, soda and salt, and mix together in a bowl. Make sure all of the ingredients are fully mixed, and then set aside. Next, take another bowl, and mix together the oil and both sugars. Follow this by adding the eggs, carrots, walnuts and the flour mixture. Mix the ingredients until fully blended or until the mixture thickens into a batter.

Next, pour this cake batter into the prepared cake pan, and bake for 40 minutes or until the cake appears to spring back when you touch it.

Let the cake cool for 30 minutes before you try to remove it from the pan. Following removal, allow to completely cool before adding any icing.

Most types of icing go well with this cake, but cream cheese and vanilla icing are some of the most popular choices. Feel free to top the icing with chopped walnuts or shredded carrots.


Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting

8 ounces cream cheese, cold
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup butter, softened
4 ½ cups powdered sugar
Milk as needed

Use the electric mixer to blend the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and creamy. (Do not beat the frosting too long. A few minutes of mixing with suffice). Add the vanilla. Gradually add the powered sugar, about one heaping tablespoon at a time. If the frosting is too thick, add milk (one drop at a time), until you reach the desired texture.

0 comments on "Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting"

 

nurainicious Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez